Billing and Collection FAQs

Where can I come to pay my bill?
Payments can be made in person at the City Hall building on the first floor. City Hall is located at 100 South Market Street in Troy. You may pay in person at the counter, or you can place your payment in the night depository. The night depository is immediately to the right inside of the main door. This depository is emptied daily.

What are the hours of operation?
Office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. The night depository is available 24 hours a day and is located in the lobby area on the first floor by the Market Street entrance of City Hall.

How can I contact customer service regarding my bill?
You can call 937-335-4151 during the office hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. We can also be reached by e-mail at

What pay methods can I use to pay my bill?
There are a variety of ways to pay your bill. Please refer to the Payment Options page for full details.

Are there agencies that can assist with the payment of my utility bill?
Several local agencies provide many outstanding services to our residents, and assistance with bill payment is one of those services. For specific guidelines or to see if you qualify, you must directly contact the agency to see if they can assist:

  • Partners in Hope 937-335-0448
  • Salvation Army 937-667-6586
  • St. Vincent 937-335-2833
  • FISH 937-335-1440
  • New Path 937-669-1213

Can my payment date be changed?
No, the payment date is based on how the city has been divided. There are 4 different sections within the city, and the due dates are set by section. The due dates are either the 14th or the 28th of each month. Your due date is indicated on the utility bill. It is important to remember that your bill will be due on the same day every month. Failure to pay by the due date will result in a 10% late fee (except when the due date falls on a weekend or holiday). When your due date falls on a weekend or an observed holiday, the bill due date becomes the first business day after.

I own a property and rent it out to others. Why am I responsible for any unpaid utility bill?
The City of Troy Chapter 909.03 states that the property owner is responsible for the payment of any charges billed for service at the owner’s property, whether the account for such charges for the property is carried in the tenant’s or another’s name. The signing of an indemnification card is required by the city, and the owner must sign this card for the service to be placed in the tenant’s name. This also serves as notification to the owner that they are responsible for any charges regarding the service at their property.

I am a new resident in Troy, how do I sign up for utility service?
To sign up for new service, simply appear during normal working hours at the office of Utility Billing, located on the first floor of City Hall at 100 South Market Street in Troy. You must complete either a utility contract for owner-occupied property form or a utility contract for tenant-occupied property form. For full details, or to download these forms from our website, visit the Starting Service page.

If I have had a water leak, am I eligible for an adjustment to my bill?
Adjustments for water leaks / plumbing problems may be made with the following general guidelines:

  • The problem must be repaired and proof of repair must be provided in writing. No adjustments will be considered until the problem is fixed and proof of repairs is provided.
  • Adjustments are limited to the last two meter readings or the last two monthly billings. No adjustments will be made for problems that were not fixed for longer periods (i.e. water leak has been ongoing for one year and has just now been repaired). Only the last two months will be reviewed for possible adjustment.
  • The adjustment will be for the sewer portion of the bill only. No adjustment will be considered for water which has been expended. The sewer portion of the bill will be considered for adjustment, since, in most cases, the problem would have resulted in no outflow through the sewer system for water expended.

I have a swimming pool and am preparing to fill it for this year. Am I eligible for any adjustment to sewer charges for the water used to fill the pool?
Please see our Swimming Pool Program page.

Am I eligible for any adjustment to sewer charges for the water used to care for my new lawn?
Please see our New Lawn Program page.

If I have a question regarding trash pick-up, recycling (including how to obtain a recycling container), brush and leaf pick-up, or grass clippings, who do I call?
You will contact the Central Maintenance Facility at 937-335-1914. Their business hours are 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday (except recognized holidays). They will be happy to assist you with all of these matters.

What are the hours of operation for the Dye Mill facility?
Current days and times for Troy residents can be found on the Dye Mill Road Facility page.

Troy residents may take grass clippings, leaves, sod, concrete, dirt, rocks, brick, and brush trimmings. Proof of Troy residency is required.

How can I establish a bulk water account?
To establish a bulk water account, you must appear at the office of Utility Billing, City Hall, 100 South Market Street, Troy OH, first floor during normal working hours. You must present an acceptable form of identification (driver’s license or state identification card). Upon completion and signing of a contract, you will be given a PIN, unique to your account. Do not share this PIN, as bulk water is directly billed to you whenever your PIN is used to access. Bulk water is distributed at the Water Treatment facility. Once a month, you will be billed for usage. Any late payment will result in the account being frozen until paid in full.

I recently got married / divorced. How do I go about changing my name on my current utility account?
Stop by the office of Utility Billing, City Hall, 100 South Market St. Troy OH, on the first floor during normal working hours. You will need to sign a new contract for service, provide an acceptable form of identification (driver’s license or state identification card), and provide a copy of legal paperwork which documents the marriage / divorce.