Planning & Zoning FAQs

When do I need a permit and where do I get an application?
A permit is needed anytime you increase the footprint of a building, install an accessory building (including, but not limited to: a fence, garage, patio, pool, shed, etc.) or open a new business. Applications can be found on our website as PDF forms or online submittable forms, by visiting us at City Hall (102 S. Market St.), or by contacting us at 937-339-9481.

What is the difference between a Zoning Permit and a Building Permit?
A Zoning Permit is issued by the City of Troy. It verifies the project you are proposing is in compliance with the City of Troy zoning regulations (setbacks, height, lot coverage, etc.). A Building Permit is issued by the Miami County Building Department and verifies the project you are proposing is in compliance with building regulations (construction materials, plumbing, electrical, etc.).

What rules apply to Garage Sales?

  • Garage sales are limited to no more than two garage sales per unit per year and can not exceed three consecutive days.
  • One on-premise sign is permitted that does not exceed 4 square feet.
  • Two off-premise signs are allowed if they do not exceed 2 square feet.
  • Signs are NOT allowed to be placed on telephone poles or in the right-of-way (between the sidewalk & curb)
  • All signs must be removed 24 hours after the garage sale.
  • Garage sales are permitted from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Do I need to submit any information along with my permit application when applying for a permit?
Yes, you will need to submit a site plan indicating where on your property you would like to locate new structures. This needs to include the setbacks to all surrounding property lines and the distances from any existing structures.

Can I file complaint concerning the condition of my neighbor's property?
Please contact the complaint line at 937-335-6103 and provide the address and description of the complaint. Complainants can be anonymous, however, staff will not be able to provide feedback regarding the status of anonymous complaints.

How much does a permit cost?
Each permit has a separate fee. You can view the full fee schedule here.

How do I know if a particular address is located within the City of Troy?
You will want to check the Miami County Auditor's website. Parcel numbers that start with "D08" or "D45" are in the corporate limits of Troy.

What happens to a variance if I sell my home or business?
Variances stay with the land. A variance will continue even if ownership of the property changes. New owners must adhere to the terms and conditions of the original variance granted.

My neighbor and I are having a dispute regarding the property line. Will the City locate them for us?
The City will not locate property lines. You should consult a professional engineer/surveyor or your title company to assist you.

My neighbor's tree hangs over the fence and drops limbs into my rear yard. Can the City address this issue?
No, the city can only address dead or dying trees in the right-of-way (usually located between the sidewalk and street). You should consult an attorney as this is a private civil legal dispute and the city has no control or jurisdiction.