The City of Troy recycling program has been available to the citizens for over 20 years. The recycling program coincides with the City’s solid waste collection program to add an environmentally friendly option for the removal of some household waste items. Recycling is a great way to:
- Reduce the amount of waste that goes to landfills;
- Conserve natural resources such as timber, water, and minerals;
- Prevent pollution by reducing the need to collect new raw materials;
- Help save energy and;
- Help sustain the environment for future generations.
The City of Troy is working with Rumpke for the pick-up and removal of recyclable materials. One of the major changes is moving from the red 18 gallon bins, to the larger green 65 gallon carts. This provides a safer, more efficient and cleaner way to recycle. The carts 65 gallon capacity help consolidate recyclable items into one receptacle instead of multiple. The cart's lid helps contain recyclables and reduces the possibility of loose debris on the streets.
What items are Recyclable?
- NO Garbage
- NO Syringes
- NO Food
- NO Light Bulbs
- NO Yard Waste
- NO Drinking Glass
- NO Plastic Bags
- NO Batteries
- NO Electronics
- NO Ceramics or Dishes
- NO Buckets
- NO Pots or Pans
- NO Butter Tubs
- NO Foil Juice Pouches
Basic guidelines for the 65 gallon cartsPlease keep all recyclable items inside the cart and make sure they are not obstructing the lid from closing. Any items that are placed next to the cart will not be picked up. If you place any items on top of the cart, your cart will not be emptied.
1. Face the cart towards the street (wheels away from the street).
2. Position the recycling cart within two feet of the curb.
3. Avoid placing the cart near a parked car or mailbox (keep a four foot distance from other objects).
For a complete list of the Rules and Regulations for the City of Troy's Solid Waste and Recycling programs, please click .